Friday, October 24, 2014

Things I Need To Know About The Blue Lagoon


bluelagoon

Since I’ve been living under a rock my entire life, my first viewing of the 1980 classic, The Blue Lagoon was Monday.  Since then, I’ve been plagued with all of these burning questions that the movie just couldn’t answer for me.

This is the point where I would say “spoilers ahead”, but I’m pretty sure everyone else has seen this movie at least once before.  If not, it’s on Netflix now!

Okay, so here are 5 questions that I was left with after my first viewing of The Blue Lagoon:

1. Are Emmeline and Richard related?:  I mean, they say they’re cousins…but are they actual cousins or their families are so close that they’re like cousins?  If they are actual cousins, then what kind of cousins are they?  Like first cousins or like tenth cousins?  How cousined are they?  The Wikipedia page lists the characters as having the same last name, but I mean, are they cousins?!

2.  Old Man Paddy:  What’s his deal? Why is he so uptight at the beginning?  He pushes the kids away but, when the ship goes down, he’s the first to get them in a lifeboat.  When they get to the island, Paddy is also very creepy.

3.  Paddy’s Death:  How did he die?  I mean, yeah he drank a lot, but did he accidentally drown?  Also, he loved that island life so much, so why did he up and die, leaving those two little kids to fend for themselves?  Dude wasn’t the role model for responsibility, but he seemed like he was enjoying teaching the kids survival skills and then he can’t even survive?

4,  Baby Paddy’s Swimming Skills:  That baby can swim!  I know Em and Richard taught Baby Paddy how to swim, but how can a baby swim like that underwater?

5.  This Is A Children’s Movie?:  A lot of the reviews on Netflix start off by saying that they enjoyed the movie when they were kids.  WTF?  I’m almost thirty and the nude scenes made me hide under my blanket!

These are only a few questions that I have in regards to The Blue Lagoon.  As you can tell, overanalyzing is my jam!

No comments:

Post a Comment